Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Getting Started

I read an article today that said something to the effect of "once I'm gone, my memories are gone too."  It struck me that all I know in my little pea brain will disappear once I pass from this world.  That would not be a good thing I don't think.  I worked hard to learn all the stuff I know and it would be a shame to waste it and not share.  So I'm going to do this blogging thing and just write stuff as it comes to mind. 

Today, I will write about my very first memories.  The furtherest back I can remember is the day that my parents brought my brother, Mark, home from the hospital.  I remember being in our old house on Finley Drive, and Sallie, our negro maid was there with me while Daddy went to get Mama and Mark from the hospital.  (Back then in 1960 negro was not a bad word.)  I can remember standing in the kitchen and Mama and Daddy coming through the back door with Mark.  I don't remember much more than that, but I understand that after they were home and Mama had put Mark in the crib, I went in and got him!  She said they were sitting at the kitchen table and turned around and looked and I was coming through the door with Mark in my arms.  Now mind you, I was 2 years and 3 months old. Mama said they just froze for fear if they jumped and yelled that I would drop him.  Evidently, they were able to take him from me with no harm done as he is still all in one piece with no severe head injuries.

It's strange how you can remember just glimpses of early life.  I know it's hard to believe that I can remember something from when I was 2 years old, but I swear that little glimpse is there.  I'm glad I have have that little memory of when my brother came into my life.  He's like my Mama:  I don't remember a time in life without either of them. 

Well, that's my first little blog about my life memories.  I'll try to come up with some of the old pictures to put on here if I can find them.  They will add a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Hey sweetie!!! How wonderful that you started a blog!! I can just see you toting that little Mark into the kitchen...and your mama wanting to scream but not doing it :) What an early memory for you but it's so wonderful that you can recall it! Hope you guys are doing so good...love you, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. a great reason to blog, to capture all those fleeting memories and family stories before they are gone forever, welcome to blogging and thanks for visiting my little corner of cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete